Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land 'O the Brookies

3 posters

Go down

Land 'O the Brookies Empty Land 'O the Brookies

Post by Tyler Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Land O' the Brookies
by Tyler Legg

This was a short article I submited to Blood Knot Magazine earlier in the month. I didn't make it into the magazine, but it was fun writing it...

I'm always searching for new water to throw my creations of foam, fur and hackle into. I found one such place in the western most fringes of Monroe County Tennessee. The famed Tellico River flows through Monroe County, but the old Tellico is not up to par with the fishing I discovered on a tiny stream I call “I Ain't Tellin' Creek. As the name implies it's as secret as the recipe for Bush's Baked Beans. It is a feeder stream for a tributary of the Tellico, but this is all you're getting out of me. I've been up to I Ain't Tellin' Creek many times, but by far my most memorable trip was the first excursion. I rose out of bed after dreaming of sugar-plums freakishly huge trout, threw my fly rod into the truck and ventured out at 5:30 in the morning. Half an hour after crossing the mighty Hiwassee River on highway 411 and navigating around a rutted dirt road for what seemed like an eternity, I was bow and arrow casting to native southern Appalachian brook trout by the crack o' dawn. Once I rigged my 3 wt, I carefully walked down the hill, straight through the jungle of Rhodo and Mountain Laurel. The first cast brought a small wild spec to my hand. The freakishly huge trout I dreamed about prior to the trip were not on the menu today. The first fish made this clear. Dappling a #14 Yellow Sally above them apparently stirred the pool into a feeding frenzy. These guys seemed as if they haven't had anything in their stomach for weeks. They darted out of rocks, across the pool, heck, at times I thought they were dropping from the sky to grab my bug. In a way, it reminded me of the fat trout at the fish hatchery that always compete against each other to eat the most trout chow pellets. I had to remind myself that these are brook trout in a small stream and not piranhas in the Amazon River. As a result of extremely low fishing pressure (if any) these wild fish will basically hook themselves, which is great for the angler, because if you try to set the hook, you run the risk of sending them airborne. Following several more short casts came several more colorful brookies. Some were a bit larger than others while some were on the smaller end of the scale. Regardless, each and every one of them displayed bright colors that were integrated into many different patterns. As I continued “rock hopping” upstream, continuously scouting for likely looking holes and sweet looking runs, I came across one pool that sent chills up my spine. I obviously was about to hit the jackpot. I dropped to the ground and crawled into position to make a decent cast. I had one shot at this pool. If I would have made one false move, the game would be over. I watched my fly as it slowly came back to me. Nothing. I slowly and carefully picked my line up and made another cast. A 7 inch male brook trout met my fly the instance it touched the surface of the water. Of course, he engulfed my bug with so much force that he hooked himself. Now, I know these fish are not huge.
In my book, catching fifty or more small, but extremely colorful specs in an unaltered environment, away from civilization that lacks other anglers, beats landing two 20” brown trout on a heavily pressured river, twenty minutes from the local shopping. Standing in a stream miles away from even the nearest run down shack made things a little nerve racking when a nest of yellow jackets attacked me. I was minding my own business, continuing to cast to a pool, when I felt a sharp pain right above my left eye. At first I thought 1.) My last roll cast didn't work out so well and the fly found it's way to my forehead... or 2.) A nest of yellow jackets are about to storm out of their nest to attack the living crap outta me. Unfortunately numero dos was about to transpire. A few had already got their revenge, but there were still many more ready to get me. I heard faint buzzing that grew louder and louder. My fly was in the rhododendron (which happened too many times on this trip). Of course I didn't have enough time to run over to the rhodo and meticulously untangle my bug, so I settled for ripping it out of the bush and making a run for it. I've never ran so fast in my life with my waders on. I eventually lost them after running a hundred yards downstream. Still, this little mishap didn't keep me from jumping back in the stream though. I finished the day after catching many more. I've found that I should go in the late fall or into the winter from now on, when the yellow jackets are gone....Maybe I should crank out some yellow jacket flies on the vise.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Land 'O the Brookies Empty Re: Land 'O the Brookies

Post by Lance Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Ever since I read your post in the blog of this stream I have been wanting to find a place like that. I just need to find more native streams. Theyre great little spots to hit especially when the summer heat is on.
Lance
Lance

http://www.lancemilks.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Lance wrote:Ever since I read your post in the blog of this stream I have been wanting to find a place like that. I just need to find more native streams. Theyre great little spots to hit especially when the summer heat is on.

It's tough to find top notch wild brook trout streams in NC/TN...Almost all of them require a hike to get to. The best thing you can do is take a Delorme Atlas and explore until you hit the jackpot. The problem is it's a trial and error thing, as some streams contain fish, while others don't. Once you find that wild brookie stream, you better keep it to yourself!!! silent
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Being an avid backpacker (as you know) I am realy looking for some hike in destinations. I heard of some far hikes in GSMNP but I havent realy asked around about them. I do know of some realy far ones in the very south west corner though. Just from my hiking trips.
Lance
Lance

http://www.lancemilks.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Lance wrote:Being an avid backpacker (as you know) I am realy looking for some hike in destinations. I heard of some far hikes in GSMNP but I havent realy asked around about them. I do know of some realy far ones in the very south west corner though. Just from my hiking trips.

The Smokies have some of the best brook trout fishing in the southeast. Most of them are hike in, except for the well know Walker's Camp Prong, which follows a road. An overnight backpacking trip is perfect for these trips.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by grizzly_jim Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

There's some great and easy spec fishing in the Smokies... when we're friendly enough, I'll let ya'll in on it! LOL

Oh, and great article! Too bad it didn't get published. I bet I've been to "I ain't tellin'"! But, on that note, I bet we all have.
grizzly_jim
grizzly_jim

http://jamesccates.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:07 pm

grizzly_jim wrote:There's some great and easy spec fishing in the Smokies... when we're friendly enough, I'll let ya'll in on it! LOL

Oh, and great article! Too bad it didn't get published. I bet I've been to "I ain't tellin'"! But, on that note, I bet we all have.

One of the last places in the south that holds so many spec fishing opportunities. Love me the Smokies!

Oh yeah, you've probably been to I Ain't Tellin' Creek a few times if you like to fish the Tellico River system....That's all I'm sayin' though... silent
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down