Bluelining for Brookies

Go down

Bluelining for Brookies

Post by hookedontrout on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:10 am

Tyler,

Just read your article entitled Bluelining for Brookies. I would really love to start some wild trout fishing this year and catching a wild brook would be incredible. Just a quick question, you mention that finding a wild brookie stream requires a lot of hiking, but do you typically have to bring waders and wading boots as well, or can you wet wade the streams on warm days such as we are having now. I am planning to explore some bluelines this weekend but am not sure what all I need to bring with me. I would like to bring a backpack with water, compass, maps, etc and my flyrod but hoping not to lug around waders and boots as well. I am also going with my 10 and 12 year old sons so they are limited as to what they will carry.

Thanks

hookedontrout

Back to top Go down

Re: Bluelining for Brookies

Post by Tyler on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Wet wading is ideal just about anywhere you go. You won't need waders if you're bluelining. Wet wading gear (wading boots or specially made wet wading shoes) are perfect.

Also, watch out for timber rattlesnakes! A lot of folks have been seeing them out in the backcountry.

Have fun! You guys will enjoy bluelining!

Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkPTO on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Tyler is correct, waders won't be necessary this weekend. The water should feel pretty good. Carry some wading shoes and leave the extra weight of waders at home. Sounds like you've got everything else pretty well covered. Drinking water we be the most critical item. I burned through nearly 2 liters of water in 4 or 5 hours last weekend. That trip included about 2.5 miles or so of hiking.

Proper fish handling will be really important with the temperatures on the rise too.

Have a great time, and catch one for me! Can't make it this weekend.
MarkPTO

http://flyfishsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by getaalong on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 am

I was out bluelining near Grandfather Mtn this week while the wife and kids were swimming nearby and caught a 12" wild bow, the nicest fish I've caught on a fly rod so far. It was freakin awesome and I can't wait to get back out there this week.
getaalong

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:25 am

A 12" wild bow is awesome! Wild trout are a blast.

Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hookedontrout on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Hiked a little over one mile to some nice looking pools. My 11 year old caught his first wild rainbow, on a parachute adams, about 6 inches but pretty. I saw one dart past one of the pools but couldn't catch it. Thanks to everyone for the advice, next time we will bring more water, proper wet wading shoes, and bug spray (we found 5 ticks when we got home). Can't wait to get back out and catch some more wild trout, especially a brookie.

hookedontrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 am

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Congrats to your son! Catching your first wild bow is something to behold... Especially on a dry!

Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by roll cast on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:27 pm

that was not my first wild rainbow but it was the first on a wild rainbow on a wid stream on a 16 adams parachute the same fly i caught my first trout on a fly rod with.

roll cast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum