Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hook Quality

+2
MarkPTO
teachrtec
6 posters

Go down

Hook Quality  Empty Hook Quality

Post by teachrtec Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Okay there was some discussion in the post I put up about buying hooks in bulk regarding cheap price was equal to poor quality on another board. Often the price does lend to the quality being better or worse. Cost more to manufacture to high quality standards. Poor manufacture process can equate to a lower cost. Don't have to have those pesky quality control folks.

Well today I had two Tiemco hooks straighten out on not really monstrous fish. Got me to wondering just how much difference there was between brands regarding strength, size, and wire diameter.

I want to compare Dai-riki, Tiemco, and brand yet to be determined. I am devising a test device for strength.

Going to test 5 of each brand and develop an average.

What should be the 3rd brand to test? Is this worth the trouble? What do you think the results will be?
teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Hook Quality  Empty Re: Hook Quality

Post by MarkPTO Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Teach - I'd say either Orvis or Mustad. It would be interesting to see a strength comparison. I believe I've used just about every brand there is out there, but never gave too much thought to which ones might actually be of better quality. There's a good chance some brands are manufactured by the same company but packaged differently. Not sure which it was, but I have had a couple break, but only after having snagged them a few times on branches and rocks.
MarkPTO
MarkPTO

http://flyfishsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Sounds like a worth while experiment. I would say Mustad, Dai Riki, and Daiichi hooks would result in the best, with Orvis not far behind.

I tie a lot of my flies on Tiemcos, but on large streamers I sometimes go with Mustad. So far they haven't let me down and don't bend all that much when a large fish is on. Recently I started tying with Orvis hooks and in my opinion, they're sturdy and reliable. I use the Orvis curved shank hooks for my Extended Body Inchworms and have yet to be let down. On the EBI, I bend the hook to allow for a more realistic silhouette and a better hook set. So far I haven't had any break on me as I bend the shank of the hook.

Really looking forward to the results!
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FireFly Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:37 pm

I like Orvis hooks first, Mustad second. Very much interested in your results.
FireFly
FireFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SBeane Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Very interested in your results...I use Daiichi for pretty much all my trout stuff, Gamakatsu for bass/warmwater flies. I've heard Orvis hooks are actually made by Daiichi, anyone know if this is true?

SBeane

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Orvis hooks are Daiichi. Nonetheless they're great hooks!
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi tech et al,

Any results from this? Did you ever test them? I've always used Mustad hooks and never had a problem with them. I noticed the other day that Cabela's is now carrying Eagle Claw brand fly fishing hooks. Eagle Claw(not known for their quality in fishing gear, as you all probably know) is putting out these hooks at nearly 1/2 the price of the Mustads. Generally, I believe in the old adage that you get what you pay for.......but there are exceptions.

If you are still planning on doing the tests, I'd love to see the Mustad hooks as the third entry! Smile
Owl
Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by teachrtec Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Still planning on doing the test. I took my three sample and measured the wire down to four places. The standard deviation was very low. For all sample sets. Tiemco had the biggest deviation .0002. Not a big spread. The strength test was a little less exacting. The rig to load and stress wasn't predictable enough. I am going to re-think my test fixture and loading method. Still after a answer Smile
teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Owl Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 am

I admire your tenacity! Now, if I could only be sure I spelled tenacity correctly. Wink
Owl
Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum