Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod?

3 posters

Go down

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod? Empty Glue for ceramic line guide in rod?

Post by vinpaysdoc Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 pm

OK, so, as I start to pack up tonight and put the rod in its holder the eye catches the edge as it goes in the tube and I see something pop off. Fortunately, I'm able to find the ceramic line guide that was glued to the metal frame. Any particular glue to use on this puppy to seat it back in the St. Croix?

Thanks,
Greg

BTW, the Mitchell was a little high, a tad murky, and the cold front made the hands a little numb. Still, one Rainbow decided it was worth the effort to take the Adams....

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod? Empty Re: Glue for ceramic line guide in rod?

Post by Tyler Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Ferrule cement is probably your best bet. It comes in solid sticks, so you have to melt it before you dab it onto the rod tip. I'd imagine most sporting goods stores will carry it...

http://www.captharry.com/product/Rods-Accessories-Rod-Building-Components/Gudebrod-Stick-Ferrule-Cement/Rods/58.html
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod? Empty Thanks

Post by vinpaysdoc Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for the tip. A friend here had recommended using silicone glue and I tried that before you had the chance to answer. I'll probably try that next time. The ceramic guide is a tight fit into the metal eye. Getting the ceramic piece set was difficult with goop on my fingers. I eventually just put the ceramic piece in place and put the silicone around the edges where it came in contact with the eye.

Greg

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod? Empty Re: Glue for ceramic line guide in rod?

Post by Tyler Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm not a rod builder, but I'd say most heavy duty glue would hold a rod tip in place. After it dries, pull on it a little bit. If it wiggles around, or completely detaches, try a stronger glue.

You can always take it to a tackle shop (doesn't have to be a fly shop) and they should be able to fix it for a small price.

Just my .2...
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Glue for ceramic line guide in rod? Empty Not the rod tip

Post by vinpaysdoc Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Tyler,

This is the ceramic guide on the FIRST line guide at the base of the rod. It was not the rod tip. Sorry for the confusion.

Greg

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by charlie Sun May 30, 2010 6:46 pm

This maqy be very late , but as a rod maker i have experienced this happening with a agate stone no trouble putting this right with decon 5 mun.epoxy works for me. best charlie

charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum