Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weird DH stockings?

4 posters

Go down

weird DH stockings? Empty weird DH stockings?

Post by SBeane Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Anybody know whats up with the extra DH stockings (i.e. watauga and helton last week)? Not that I'm complaining...I might just head up to the Helton tomorrow Very Happy

SBeane

Back to top Go down

weird DH stockings? Empty Re: weird DH stockings?

Post by Tyler Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Helton Creek tends to have a pretty good amount of holdovers. Especially the farther you are from roads. NCWRC stocked a few 100 fish into Helton back in July, but haven't stocked any since according to the chart.

I may head up to Helton or the Watauga (or wild water up that way) next weekend. Tell me how you do tomorrow if you do head up there. Good luck man!
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBeane Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:37 pm

yeah that's what I was thinking...just happened to check the weekly update and they were both on there.

SBeane

Back to top Go down

Post by getaalong Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Hit the Hwy 105 stretch of the Watauga yesterday and did pretty well. I'm not sure where they stocked last week, it was probably the Valle Crucis area though. I made it to a very hard to access stretch and saw a lot of 18"+ monsters. Hooked one but it jumped the hook when I was trying to land it. Caught a lot of little guys and a nice smallie too. There's a small stretch that is posted, but if it's public trout waters they can't do that right? I figured I was okay as long as I stay in the water but it's hard to tell with the people around here, I've had dogs sicked on me before.
getaalong
getaalong

Back to top Go down

Post by teachrtec Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:27 pm

They can. Most trout water is on private land in NC. The owner of the land has the right to post the land and the water if they own it. In NC the river bed belongs to the landowner as well. Can't legally wade thru.

I'm from around here so to speak and most of the time a polite door knock and request will get to on to their land. Lot of posted land is folks who have moved in to these parts.
teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by getaalong Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 am

Oh yeah DH season starts early in Boonetown! LOTS of bows patrolling the Watauga this morning. The water is still very low and very clear which makes it even more frustrating when I can see dozens of fish refuse my fly in one drift! Get it while the gettin's good boys...smallies too...
getaalong
getaalong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum