Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senior Project Fly-Fishing

4 posters

Go down

Senior Project Fly-Fishing Empty Senior Project Fly-Fishing

Post by teachrtec Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 pm

This student ask me last year if I would be his mentor while he was still a junior. We have been tying for about 3 weeks at school. He bought a kit of tools and ties at home now. Bought a beginner rod and I helped him rig it and taught his the first steps of casting in front of the school. Another school's ball team showed up and walked by us to the gym. Lots of strange looks. I told them we also had a surfing team with a wicked smile Twisted Evil

Today was his first day going to some water. The river was up and off color. We went to the ponds I had permission to.

He told me he had been practicing at home casting into a hula hoop. Well he cast so much better than I expected.

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP2997

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP2999

After several cast and a few fly changes we hit pay dirt. He hooked up on a fish while I was sitting talking to the ponds owner. Look around at him and told him good job. Well it wasn't acting like a bluegill and pretty heavy. Maybe a bass. I had caught one there early in the spring that was near to 5 lbs. No jump.

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP3000

Finally after handling it like a pro with little instruction. Palming the reel like I had told him back at school Smile it came into sight.

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP3001

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP3003

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP3006

Okay I have ruined a child. First fish on a fly was a disreputable beast Wink He was happy and jazzed up. He said he had tired arms and I smiled a little.

Fished on and caught several good bluegill on a floating Woolly Bugger.

Senior Project Fly-Fishing IMGP3009

I sort of dreaded this afternoon but it turned out really well. I believe he's hooked (pun alert). I wouldn't mind taking him out again.
teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Senior Project Fly-Fishing Empty Re: Senior Project Fly-Fishing

Post by hookedontrout Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:53 pm

That's an awesome job to get someone started in the wonderful world of fly fishing. Now you have to put him on some beautiful brookies! Can you be my fly fishing mentor also? LOL! I am yet to catch my first wild brookie, but I will get one this weekend. Also, thanks for all the help getting Roll Cast started with tying. He ties during all of his free time now.

hookedontrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I think it's safe to say you have introduced yet another new angler Brad. Anyone who catches a catfish of that magnitude on the long rod has to be hooked! Fly fishing definitely is a great topic to choose for the senior exit project. Pretty sure we've had several people do fly fishing as their SEP over here. Our district (Cabarrus County) discontinued the SEP for a few years, as the budget wouldn't allow for it. Unlike others, I was, in a way, ready for it. Was thinking about doing something fly fishing related that I haven't much experience with (spey casting). Oh well.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by teachrtec Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 pm

hookedontrout I really enjoy seeing enthusiasm toward the sport. Even more so in young folks.

Tyler they are talking a end to ours. Rumor right now. The juniors are really hopeful.

teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffalo96 Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Nice! Good to see some young folks take up fishing. Hopefully they will help keep the sport alive and have a positive influence on the environment our fishy friends live in. Can't wait to get my son into the sport.
Buffalo96
Buffalo96

http://buffaloangler.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down