Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Back Country Trip

3 posters

Go down

1st Back Country Trip Empty 1st Back Country Trip

Post by talldude33 Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey Guys, I'm in the process of planning my first back country trip. Me and a couple of buddies were wondering where to go. I was thinking about Linville Gorge or South Mountain State park I go to Appalachain State so preferably I would like to stay semi close. Is there any where within 1-2 hours of Boone where we could do a 2-3 day backpacking trip? Any help will be appreciated, thanks
-talldude

talldude33

Back to top Go down

1st Back Country Trip Empty Re: 1st Back Country Trip

Post by hookedontrout Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:28 am

When were you thinking of going? South Mountains has some decent camping along the DH stream, so that would be best in October. I think you can also hike up about a mile or so and get good campsites along the wild trout streams. Linville Gorge is definitely a two person trip. I have heard folks say they prefer a light spinning rod to bring versus a fly rod because the hike down into the Gorge is rugged. You can access the Gorge off Old Highway 105, which is off 183 in Linville Falls. Hope that helps.

hookedontrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Linville Gorge can be sketchy. The hike in is extremely rugged and treacherous and the fishing can be marginal, due to warm temps. Trout are present, but they're few and far between. Excellent smallmouth fishing downstream though.

Check out this list of hike-in streams.

Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down