Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First trip to the Smokys. Need advice from the vets

Go down

First trip to the Smokys. Need advice from the vets Empty First trip to the Smokys. Need advice from the vets

Post by addicted2fly Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 am

Hello, this is my first post on tarheelflyfishing.com. I have been reading many of the forums and I feel like this is the place to ask my question. Especially because it seems that there hasn't been too much discussion about fishing in the month of March.

I'm planning on going to up to Smokys the week of march 11th with two college pals for a couple of days to pursue some brookies. We are all very capable hikers, and we plan on camping as well. We are thinking of going out towards Mt. Mitchell.

What would you say about going this early in the year? Since I'm from the NYC area, I don't know the local weather of that time of year or what the typical flows of the streams are. I'm assuming that there will be some decent snow melt so flows could be quite high... would it be unreasonably high? How cold does it get at night assuming no cold fronts. What are the best patterns and sizes to have?

I have been reading up on the flyfishingsmokymountains.com website and nps.gov site for the smokys about rules and regulations and there are some streams that are closed during that time period.

Please, all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

addicted2fly

Back to top Go down

First trip to the Smokys. Need advice from the vets Empty Re: First trip to the Smokys. Need advice from the vets

Post by addicted2fly Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Any one?

addicted2fly

Back to top Go down