Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davidson River 5/16

Go down

Davidson River 5/16 Empty Davidson River 5/16

Post by Tyler Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Fished the Davidson after TroutFest on Sunday. As with most days, the crowds back at the hatchery were pretty bad. I decided to fish upstream until the expected rain came. Once there, I stood above the river watching for any irregular movements that might be a fish. Eventually I spotted a 13" rainbow sitting in his feeding lane. I blinked and the fish disappeared. I did see him again, but it was when an impending t'storm finally closed in on us. Plan B was to get ahead of the storm and drive downstream a good ways back towards the hatchery. Once at the hatchery, I hiked down the trail and found a decent spot void of any other anglers. I got into position and hooked into one large rainbow, probably 20" or so, that upon being hooked, leaped out of the water, landed on a log that laid over the river, snapped off of my 6x, and flopped back into the Davidson. I laughed and re-rigged. Next came several more fish, most of which came to the net. I had a 26-28" brown trout with a tail that looked like a fan, lunge at my streamer. He sat right under that log and would chase the fish I hooked. A particularly aggressive fish for sure!! With 6x on, the fight would have been as short as the take. All and all a fun trip. Here's some of the pictures from Sunday...

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02810

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02816

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02811

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02812

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02813

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02814

Davidson River 5/16 Dsc02815
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com