Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reddies River DH 3/10/10

4 posters

Go down

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Empty Reddies River DH 3/10/10

Post by vinpaysdoc Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Img_1011

The Reddies River DH is a one mile stretch from the dam in North Wilkesboro to the Yadkin River. The banks are high in most spots and often littered with concrete, making this look like an industrial waste reclamation site. The stretch of river is smack dab in the middle of North Wilkesboro. Don't go here for the scenery. In fact, I'll probably skip it altogether in the future. We got there at 0800 and fished about 2 hours. I'm a die hard dry fly guy and that might have had something to do with the lack of bites, but seriously, NONE? Locals walking the jogging trail beside the river said it had been stocked last week. Not only did we not get a bite, but, I didn't even see a fish. Surely if there was a stocked brookie around I could have enticed them to come up at least once. Perhaps I'll fare better this weekend at Helton Creek. I sure couldn't do any worse.....

Greg

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Empty Re: Reddies River DH 3/10/10

Post by Buffalo96 Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm

If you live in High Point then the Mitchell River near Dobson, NC in Surry County is the closest stretch of DH water to the Triad. It is very popular with folks from the Triad area and Charlotte so it gets some pressure. If you time it with the stockings you can find some less than educated fish to catch. It is definitely closer than Helton Creek if you just want to do a day trip.
Buffalo96
Buffalo96

http://buffaloangler.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Img00110

The Mitchell River is definitely an excellent DH stream to try. Like Les said, it can get crowded though (tells you that it's a great DH stream). Still, if you plan a trip during the week, the crowds won't be around.

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Img00111

Above is Grover Cockerham Rd. (follows the river). Kapps Mill Rd, Judsville School Rd, and River Rd, are all popular areas to fish.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Empty Thanks

Post by vinpaysdoc Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm

The Mitchell looks nice. I might try that on an afternoon off next week. Thanks gents!

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by teachrtec Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm

My in-laws live in Dobson. I try to fish it a couple of times a year. Nice stream and definitely different from streams up this way.
teachrtec
teachrtec

http://trashflies.com

Back to top Go down

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 Empty Mitchell

Post by vinpaysdoc Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Gents,

Went to Mitchell today. Nice stretch of water, but, today it was a little murky and high. Nobody was catching fish. I will go back.

G

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:08 pm

The rain really came down last night in most places. Not surprised that the Mitchell was high and a little murky. Unless we get more heavy rain, the water should be fine in a few days.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffalo96 Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Agreed, you are better off playing hooky and going early on a week day to avoid the crowds. Just remember to be courteous and not crawl in right ahead of someone fishing a stretch and you should be OK. It gets stocked fairly regularly and heavier than other rivers. The DH section runs from the bridge at Knapps Mill to the end of the path off Grover-Cockerham Rd. There is a parking area and gate at the end of Grover-Cockerham Rd with a path that follows the river to the bend where the DH section ends. My suggestion is to try near the first bridge off River Rd where the telephone box is. The other area is further up the walking path near some concrete slab fragments that poke out into the water. This is a very public fishing spot so it's not like its secret information. Good luck!

Reddies River DH 3/10/10 DSC00093
Buffalo96
Buffalo96

http://buffaloangler.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down