Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stone Mountain Today, 7/2

3 posters

Go down

Stone Mountain Today, 7/2 Empty Stone Mountain Today, 7/2

Post by hookedontrout Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Andrew (roll cast) and I went up to Stone Mountain this afternoon, hoping that they had stocked either yesterday or today. There were no fish in the park so we went exploring to some of the other streams nearby. We looked at the HS streams by the park off Longbottom Rd. The stream off Grissel Trail was stagnant so we passed. We could not find the Middle Prong of the Roaring River so we tried Harris Creek. All we found was a tiny little creek by a lot of "no trespassing" signs off Absher Rd. If that was Harris Creek, it was only about 4 or 5 feet wide. We went further up Longbottom and found a bridge where there was another HS stream on one side and the entrance to Doughton Park on the other. There we found a nice pool and saw several trout but could not get one to bite. We went up the trail into Doughton park a ways but did not fish it (has anyone fished there?) Finally, we went back into the park to the old church and practiced our casting skills and caught a few fingerlngs. Not so productive in terms of trout, but a nice day anyway and we found some more places to fish.

BTW, thanks to Tyler for your PM. I can't PM yet so I will take this opportunity to thank you.

hookedontrout

Back to top Go down

Stone Mountain Today, 7/2 Empty Re: Stone Mountain Today, 7/2

Post by Tyler Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 am

Yeah, unfortunately the once fishable DH streams are now pretty much cleaned out. The heat wave would have killed most of them anyways. Good news is, fish will be swimming in them once again come October when DH picks back up.

I've never fished Harris Creek before. When I go up to Stone Mtn, I concentrate on the DH waters during the season. I do know Harris Creek requires a pretty good hike in order to get to the fishy water. It does have wild brook trout in the upper parts and it's a small stream (like you described). With that being said, try Garden Creek or Widows Creek next time you guys are up there. Both hold wild rainbows and a few wild browns.

Good to hear that you guys did find some fish! Sorry to hear they were too stubborn!

You're very welcome! I completely forgot you were not able to PM though! I should have sent you an email. Hope Andrew can use it. I'm just the messenger, so thank Mr. Hannin! Cool

Tyler
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBeane Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:23 pm

That stream in Doughton Park has lots of wild rainbows. Walk a couple miles to the campground, take either the left or right fork, they both have fish.

I fished one of the aforementioned wild creeks in SMSP today...will post a report later.

SBeane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down