Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith River nymphs

5 posters

Go down

Smith River nymphs Empty Smith River nymphs

Post by SBeane Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Found plenty of sulphur nymphs this past weekend, hopefully it won't be long till they're poppin off.
Smith River nymphs P4100483

Smith River nymphs P4100481

Also found a few of these...not sure what it is, it was about a #16. Sorry for the crappy photo:

Smith River nymphs P4100475

SBeane

Back to top Go down

Smith River nymphs Empty Re: Smith River nymphs

Post by Tyler Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Nice!! Can't wait until the sulfurs start hatching. You know it's summer when you start seeing them!

I have no idea what the last bug is. Weird looking Isonychia maybe or a stone? Or a mix between a stonefly and a mayfly. Could be a stonemay... Laughing
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffalo96 Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Good photos. Tasty looking trout treat!
Buffalo96
Buffalo96

http://buffaloangler.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Smith River nymphs Empty Sulfurs out?

Post by vinpaysdoc Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Gents,

There were plenty of sulfurs hatching yesterday at the Mitchell River. I had fished an Adam for about a half mile up the river and got nothing. I then got out and just started looking at the water to see if I could even see any fish. I stopped at the bridge in front of the rental house on Grover Cockerham and threw the Adams out for a moment. A Brookie came up to it while I was dragging it in. He missed, but, got it the next time around. A hatch was coming off there. The fly looked like a quill gordon, but, the body was a pale yellow and it had white wings. I'm guessing it was a Sulfur Dun. It was fun sitting at that bridge watching the fish come out of the water after the flies. I'll have some Sulfurs the next time I head out. I did entice them to come up to the Adams or Olive fly on occasion. BTW, the Mitchell hasn't been stocked yet this month and the Game Warden stated they might not get around to it until late this month while they stock the hatchery supported streams......

Greg

vinpaysdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Sounds like a good day. Nothing beats watching a brookie rise to a dry!!

Sounds like the Sulfurs can't wait any longer. If it had a yellow body, it was a sulfur. There's so much pollen around, a Quill Gordon could have accumulated some yellowish/greenish coloration!! Very Happy

Keep your fingers crossed that NCWRC will stock Mitchell. They probably will, especially when there's crowds of fisherman.
Tyler
Tyler
Forum Owner
Forum Owner

http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:30 am

I hope it has been stocked by next tuesday. I am taking a guy up there and I hope to put him on the fish. You are right about the sulphurs, I also saw light caddis flies hatching by the dozens. If anyone finds out the date of the later April stocking let me know.
Lance
Lance

http://www.lancemilks.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down